Friday, March 03, 2006

our days in kansas


community cat
Originally uploaded by the wanton machine.
As I sort through tons of surveys of American Studies students on internet use, one thing is standing out that I didn't expect: students want to learn how to build websites.

A new possible outgrowth of my thesis project is an html/web building seminar for humanities students?
  • what do students want to convey on the web or why do they want to learn?
  • what sort of format should a course on web-building take?
  • who would teach such a thing?
  • would students actually attend?


My initial reaction to this consistently voiced desire (to learn how to make websites) is to assume that more people are interested in making content. Making a website represents the switch from consumer to producer. Is this more evidence of the rise of producer culture on the internet?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I used to incorporate basic HTML and then web site production (using Netscape Composer) in my classes, but stopped when the professional standard (using Dreamweaver, for example) evolved beyond what i could teach students in a couple fo classes. I did offer a course last fall -- Material Culture Research, AMST 498K -- which involved producing an online exhibit using primary sources. The best solution would probably to direct students to OIT training courses as part of the course requirements.

I would be interested in what specific training would be mlost desireable or necessary.

3/06/2006 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home